It's a dog's life...

It's a dog's life...

Saturday 28 May 2011

A Raw Journey....

Years ago we fed our dogs Eukanuba, we then changed to Burns and noticed an almost immediate improvement in their coats and condition. In recent years we have also fed Arden Grange at points, as well as Naturediet. The dogs also have leftovers and fruit/veg .
I have never been keen on feeding kibble,it seems so far removed from being food that it has never,ever felt right. That said, I didn't want to just feed a 'wet' food as I had concerns about additives and of course the lack of chewing impacting on their dental health. I knew about 'raw' feeding but wasn't convinced that it made sense, I understood the idea of feeding a natural diet...but raw???

Recently I attended a days course with Nick Thompson, a holistic vet.
http://www.holisticvet.co.uk/nutrition.html
It was a fascinating day, whilst I didn't learn a great deal, it made a lot of sense and I found myself nodding in agreement, to the point that my neck ached at the end of it! It was all about psychoneuroendicrinoimmunology (I do hope I got that right!) I won't go into it, let's just say it made a great deal of sense.
Nick came back to the centre last week to do a days seminar about raw feeeding! I went along, thinking that I wouldn't be swayed...but I was wrong!

So...here I am. Ready to raw (I think!!!)
I have upped their intake of raw veg (that was the easy bit) and this morning, they had a raw lambs heart each! To say they loved it would be an understatement! Tomorrow, if all is well with what they produce later,they will be having a raw chicken wing. I think the sooner we do that the better! Let's just get the chicken done! :-)

So..I thought it would be interesting to write about our raw journey, the ups and downs and what goes in and what comes out aspect of it all. I am new to it all and I welcome any ideas and comment.

Ultimately I am aiming to feed a third raw muscle meat, a third meaty bones and a third veg/fruit...we shall see.As I introduce things I am keeping them on their current food but reducing it accordingly.

Wish us luck!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment